3RD EAST ASIA
BIOINFORMATION NETWORK (3rd EABN) 2008
18th April 2008
Venue: CIT Auditorium, Level 2 Computer Centre Building,
National University of Singapore (NUS)
A Satellite Meeting of BioInformatics Asia 2008
at the BioMedical Asia 2008 convention at Suntec City Convention Centre
Latest Information (22nd April 2008)
INTRODUCTION: Building the East Asia Bioinformation Network
The 1st East Asia Bioinformatics Network was held in Busan, South Korea
during the 5th International Conference on Bioinformatics (InCoB2005)
at the Korean BIOINFO'05 Congress. Sponsored by the host country Korea,
all ASEAN countries were invited to send their official delegates,
as coordinated by the ASEAN Secretariat and the SubCommittee on
Biotechnology (SCB) of the ASEAN Committee on Science and Technology (COST).
Despite the absence of a few countries, the meeting was a success, and
set in motion the framework for cooperation amongst ASEAN countries
and East Asia countries in the area of bioinformatics, bioinformation
and computational biology.
As a project proposed as one of the outcomes of the East Asia Summit
between northern Asian nations namely China, Japan and Korea, with ASEAN,
the EABN promotes scientific cooperation and collaboration in the life
sciences amongst East Asian countries, focussing on bioinformatics,
bioinformation and computational biology.
The 1st EABN has achieved greater understanding of the field amongst
ASEAN participants and Korea. The 2nd EABN successfully gained the participation of most ASEAN countries and Korea with observers from Pakistan to participate in building the bioinformation infrastructure of East Asia by meeting
to discuss key issues.
The 3rd EABN will build on these successful outcomes to report on the progress of projects initiated in the 2nd EABN meeting, and to discuss new project initiatives and review strategic plans.
WHO SHOULD COME
- Policy makers interested in the impact of Bioinformation, Bioinformatics and Computational Biology and in promoting the development in their countries
- Key bioscientists interested in Bioinformation, Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
- Industry partners (by invitation only)
- Observers (by invitation only)
PANEL DISCUSSION SESSION
Provocative topics will be discussed. Thought leadership amongst speakers, panelists and the audience
will be encouraged.
- Jong Bhak Executive Director, Korean Bioinformation Center, Daejon, Korea.
- Tan Tin Wee, Biochem Dept,National University of Singapore
- Lisa Ng SIgN, Singapore
- Victor Tong I2R, Singapore
- Donald Tambunan Head, Science and Technology, ASEAN Secretariat
- P Kangueane, Founding Editor, Bioinformation, Managing Editor, Frontiers in Bioscience, President, Biomedical Informatics Society, India, Visiting Professor, Biotechnology, VITU.
Meeting reports will be published in the open access e-journal, Bioinformation, edited by P Kangueane
and others. For publishing your report, please consult submission details.
Department of Biochemistry
National University of Singapore
Tel: (65) 65163566
Fax: (65) 67777936
Email: heiny --at-- bic.nus.edu.sg